Humans climb before we walk. At Grasshopper, we engineer state of the art adjustable climbing walls (ACW) that ship to your doorstep that you, the customer, can assemble and/or install.
Over the last few decades climbers began pursuing difficult bouldering as its own entity where grades have climbed from V0 to V16, and harder. Bouldering’s social aspect is conducive to climbing in groups where individuals can participate at the same time, but at their own pace and skill level. Bouldering's intuitive, natural appeal has made it the core of youth climbing programs. Bouldering competitions have gained notoriety due to their crowd-pleasing, explosive, gymnastic nature. And bouldering is now one of three primary climbing disciplines in the Olympics.
Bouldering is simply the most effective and convenient way to train. One Grasshopper Board is like having 10 different walls in one. Effectively train strength, awareness and endurance in a balanced format. In a single day you can set up your Grasshopper Board and have instant access to infinite climbing options of every difficulty from V0-V16.
Grasshopper has revolutionized the bouldering wall by:
- Making it adjustable. This is the core principle of our design. Difficulty is defined by the angle of a climb, more so than the size of its holds. Warmup at 20 degrees. Train hard movement at 40 degrees. Work on endurance at 25 degrees. If you’re working on a project, train at or near the angle of your project. The possibilities are endless.
- Carefully designed ergonomic holds shaped to be safe and effective for training strength and awareness. We’ve done all the route-setting for you. Our layout (directed by USA Climbing Head Coach Josh Larson) is programmed to address an unequalled range of movement styles and strengthening drills.
- The Grasshopper Board app. Download at the App Store or Google Play and have instant access to an unlimited amount of problems or publish your own. Log and share all within the app.
- Animated route function. Routes in excess of 300 moves can be programmed into the Grasshopper Board app. Train endurance and reap the benefits of eccentric (downclimbing) movement.
- Mirrored hold layout for balanced training. It’s amazing how much you can learn from doing the same problem in opposite directions.
- No dedicated staff or course-setters required
- Three sizes requiring between 100-300 ft² of floor space
- Are classified as equipment/assets
- Can be relocated easily
- All Grasshopper designs comply with industry standards and use the highest quality materials and manufacturing processes for unmatched precision, stability and reliability.
Step 1: Choosing the right size wall
Start by answering one critical question: Where does the wall fit? Space constraints are real. But rest assured, no matter what your reality is, we have a solution.
Ninja: Designed for home and office where space constraints often dictate options. Bouldering surface is ~8' wide by 10' long. Recommended landing zone is 9'x9' (81 ft²)
Master 8x12: Designed for commercial and home use. Full-sized bouldering surface is 8' wide by 12' tall. Recommended landing zone is 13'x13' (156 ft²)
GrandMaster 12x12: Designed primarily for commercial use. Extra-large bouldering surface is 12' wide by 12' tall. Recommendation landing zone is 17'w x 13' (221 ft²)
While the Ninja is slightly smaller than the Master 8x12, the Ninja is a fully functional, no-compromise bouldering and training wall. If you've got the space, we recommend upsizing to the Master 8x12, which we consider to be our best ROI. If you've got the space though, there's no doubt that the Grandmaster 12x12 is in a class by itself. The extra large bouldering surface is especially nice when using the Grasshopper Board app's animated route function.
Step 2: Installation
Once you've chosen your wall's size, the next step is to identify how it will be installed.
1-Grasshopper Freestanding options will go basically anywhere indoors or out. Our freestanding walls just sit on the ground, no bolts required (so no permits required either). They can even be moved around and repositioned with a pallet jack!
2-Grasshopper Hanging solutions install to your infrastructure. Our Hanging walls are in a class by themselves. They're incredibly sleek, easy to adjust and stable. If you've got a structural wall, uprights, rafters or trusses, then mount two brackets and suspend your wall.
No matter what the case, we're here to provide guidance and engineering documents for virtually any situation imaginable.
Feel free to email questions to: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How much height do I need to install a Grasshopper Wall?
A: For a Ninja, you need 9.5 feet to set the wall at 10 degrees. For a Master Wall, the you need 14' of clear height to set the wall at 20 degrees.
Q: How much floor space is needed to ensure a good fall-zone?
A: Ideally 13'x13' under the board is recommended. Padding should be between 8"-12" thick.
Q: How does the Grasshopper stuff ship?
A: Our stuff ships flat via freight on a ~100" x 50" pallet.
Q: How close to my wall can I mount the Framework?
A: We recommend 18"- 30" from a wall or in front of a ceiling truss.
Q: How do I know if I can safely secure and suspend a board in my space?
A: We always recommend you consult a local expert to determine sufficient structural integrity.
Q: Once I install a Grasshopper Wall, is it possible to move it and re-install it in a different spot?
A: Absolutely can be moved and re-installed. It even breaks down into four easy-to-manage pieces that are just a bit bigger than a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.